Part Two: Bornova
6. Catholic Church of Saint Mary
The Church of Saint Mary in Bornova was built by the Franciscans in 1797. It was originally a wooden building. The current church is from 1832. It has a central plan with attached choir and chapels. The central space is covered by a dome. The dominant feature outside is the porch supporting a closed upper gallery at the entrance.
7. Anglican Church of Saint Mary Magdalene
Gençlik Caddesi 22
This church was built by the Whittall merchant family, whose main residence was located nearby. Its exterior shows features of Neoclassicism, while on the inside Renaissance Revival is the predominant style. The church has beautiful stained-glass windows designed by Charles Eamer Kempe, installed here at the turn of the 20th century.
8. Charlton Whittall Mansion / The Big House
Gençlik Caddesi 12
This mansion was built by Charlton Whittall, a British merchant who had lived and worked in Izmir since 1809. It is one of the oldest surviving Levantine mansions in Bornova, most probably built with a special permission of the Sultan. It was one of the most important of them, frequently called as the Big House. Notable guests included Sultan Abdulaziz in 1863 and George Frederick Ernest Albert, the later King George V, in 1886.
The mansion originally just had one floor. The second floor was added later, most probably after the death of Charlton Whittall in 1867, by his son James. The façade decoration is simple. The staircase with marble balustrades and the portico supporting a terrace are the dominant features on the main façade. On the inside, parquet floors, crystal chandeliers and ceramic fireplaces survive of the original interior. The mansion is surrounded by a big garden.
The building is now used as the rectorate of the Ege University. Its annexes are from the 20th century.
9. Richard Whittall Mansion
Gençlik Caddesi 24
Richard Whittall was the son of James Whittall. His mansion, located close to the other Whittall mansions, consists of two volumes. The main volume has two stories and verandas on the ground floor level. The service volume, which was added in the 1880s, has a tower, a rare feature for a Levantine mansion in Bornova.
10. Wilkinson Mansion
Gençlik Caddesi, opposite the Edwards Mansion
This mansion, located between the Big House and the Anglican Church, belonged to James Whittall’s daughter Jane and her husband Richard Wilkinson.
11. English Club / Well House
Gençlik Caddesi, at the end of 78., 80. & 82. Sokak
This building was originally a property of Charlton Whittall. It was later transformed into the English Club of Bornova, which came to be one of the most important meeting places of the locals. Since the remains of a structure used to draw water from a well still survive here, the building is also sometimes called the Well House.
12. Tristram Mansion
Gençlik Caddesi 22
This mansion belonged to the members of the Tristram family, who had lived in the Levant since the early 19th century. They later moved to Izmir and married to the members of the local Levantine families, such as the Edwards and the Whittall. The mansion is typical in that it has rectangular windows and a separation of floors indicated on the façades. Unusual are the small bay window facing the street and the ornamentation under the eaves.
13. Maltass Mansion / Wood-Paterson Mansion / Matthey Mansion / Steinbüchel Mansion
Intersection of Gençlik Caddesi & 82. Sokak
First half of 19th century (?)
This mansion was built by John Maltass. It was inherited by his daughter and, through her marriage, went to the ownership of the Wood family. It seems to have had many different owners in the history, all members of notable Levantine families of Izmir. It is a two-storey building surrounded by a big garden. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk stayed here during the Greco-Turkish War in 1922. It is now in a dilapidated state.
14. Edwards Mansion / Murat Mansion
Gençlik Caddesi 19
This mansion, built by the Edwards family and later used by Marie and Rodolphe Murat, is among the most beautiful in Bornova. Its façade is dominated by a portico of eight columns, which supports a terrace, probably intended for sunbathing. Some have floral motifs on the ceilings, together with landscape scenes in Baroque cartouches.
15. La Fontaine Mansion
Intersection of Gençlik Caddesi & Kazım Karabekir Caddesi
This mansion was owned by the La Fontaine family, who were from Switzerland, but had British passports. It has rectangular windows, a balcony facing the main street, a molding separating the two storeys, and an arched entrance from the garden.
16. Pierre Pagy Mansion
Intersection of Gençlik Caddesi & 80. Sokak
Early 20th century (?)
The Pagy family came to Izmir from Marseille in the early 18th century. The house of Pierre Pagy was probably built at the turn of the 20th century, as indicated by its Romantic style.
17. Fernand Pagy Mansion
Intersection of 83. Sokak & 80. Sokak
The mansion of Fernand Pagy has two storeys. There is a veranda supported by columns over the main entrance. The façade has almost no decoration.
18. Balladur Mansion / De Andria Mansion
Intersection of 80. Sokak & 83. Sokak
This building has unusual segmental-arched windows and elaborate wooden carvings under the eaves and at the entrance.
19. Charnaud Mansion
80. Sokak 25
This mansion was built in 1831, as indicated by an inscription on the pebbles of the main pathway. It belonged to a Protestant French family who had British citizenship. It is a single-storey building with an entrance portico.
20. Giraud Mansions
Fevzi Çakmak Caddesi 28
Marcopoli, c. 1860; 1900s
The first members of the Giraud family moved from Antibes to Izmir in the late-18th century. These two mansions, located in a large garden, were designed in around 1860 by a Greek architect. One of the mansions was rebuilt in the 1900s. Both buildings have a simple facade with irregular fenestration. One mansion has a frieze decorated with festoons running around the building.
21. Xenopoulo Mansion / Belhomme Mansion
Fevzi Çakmak Caddesi 32
Wolf Brothers, 1880
The first owner of the mansion was Pierre Xenoupoulo, a Greek merchant. Later it went to the ownership of the Belhomme family, who came from Britain. The main façade of the two-storey building is dominated by staircases leading to the first floor and a triangular pediment supported by four Ionic columns. Some original elements survive inside.
22. Paterson Mansion / Aliberti Mansion
Kazım Karabekir Caddesi 49
Wolf Brothers, 1856
This mansion was built by the Paterson family. Its later owners were the La Fontaine and De Zandonatti families, and it went to the Aliberti family in the 1950s. It is one of the most attractive mansions in Bornova, showing a pediment supported by with four Ionic columns, two staircases on both sides of the entrance, and an asymmetrical projection with a veranda on top of it on the left side.
23. Paterson Mansion
Mustafa Kemal Caddesi, between 159. Sokak & 556. Sokak
End of 19th century
The Paterson mansion, built by a Scottish corn merchant at the end of the 19th century, is one of the biggest Levantine mansions in Izmir. It occupies a large plot of land, part of which had previously been used for horse racing. It is a two-storey building with a higher corner section. The main entrance projects slightly and is curved. On the left of the entrance is a balcony over a small projection. Its architecture was influenced by that of Victorian villas in Britain, such as Brodsworth Hall in Yorkshire or the Hedsor House in Buckinghamshire. On the inside, there were elegant staircase balustrades, fireplaces, crystal chandeliers and furniture imported from England. One of the chandeliers was in the Bornova Hüseyin İsabey Mosque until 2010.
24. Ballian Mansion
Gençlik Caddesi 4
This mansion belonged, in different times, to the Ballian, Giraud and Winterhalter families. It is a two-storey building with Neoclassical features.
25. Davy Mansion
Intersection of Gençlik Caddesi & 162. Sokak
This mansion, built by an American, has predominant Neoclassical features. It has a triangular gable, recessed main entrance with columns and pilasters, and a decorative molding between the ground and first floors on the façade.
26. Bardisbanian (Pandespanian) Mansion / The Green Mansion
Ege University Campus, at the beginning of Ord. Prof. Dr. Muhiddin Erel Caddesi
This mansion was owned by an Armenian family who at some point attained French citizenship. It has one of the most decorated façades of all the mansions in Izmir. Its most notable features are wooden projections on the both sides of the entrance, a balcony with ornamented ironwork above it, and a triangular pediment with rounded forms.